Friday, November 13, 2009

Bharati - Telugu Literary Monthly

Bharati was a literary monthly magazine from the stables of Andhra Patrika Group. Sri Kasinathuni Nageswara Rao, known as Desoddharaka and Viswadata started this magazine way back in 1924. He also started Amritanjan pain balm. It is interesting that national leaders like him went into business to sustain the good work they wanted to do. In the editorial of the inaugural issue Sri Rao said “


భారతిని పెంచి పోషించవలసిన భార మాంధ్ర లోకాధీనమై యున్నది. ముఖ్యముగ నీ భారము విద్యావంతుల మీదను గలదు.


The magazine celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1974 and brought out a special issue. This is the contents page of the issue.



You can see that all popular writers of many fields contributed to the issue. It is indeed necessary that such volumes are preserved for the benefit of the history of the language.

It is known to all the literary people that Bharati was a kind of research magazine for the field and to be featured in the magazine was an achievement in itself. The magazine seized publication due to reasons unknown. We were told that Pantulu garu wrote in his will that money from Amritanjanam should be used for the upkeep of the magazine. Interestingly even the weekly and daily from the group stopped publication. Amritanjanam continues to relieve people from pain though!


I do not know who is interested in reading the contents of the magazine and many such publications.


I am sure the text can be revived even after a few years.


There is a lone painting featured in the issue and I bring it here.


The artist is Sri Koduru Srirama Murthy. There is an article on him along the beautiful painting.




(Click on the images to see them in big size)

I need some feedback on preserving articles and art work from such publication.

13 comments:

Murali P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Murali P. said...

I like your article on Bharati patrika. By any chance do you have access to 1973 May and 1974 May issues of this magazine?
I am looking for two articles written by Oruganti Neelakanta Sastry. If you either have them or guide me to where I can get them, it will be a great help for me.

Thank you,
Murali

riya said...

Thank you for your sustained efforts in bringing out such rare visuals. I am looking for the full name of a woman artist called Pushkarambha from Sharada Niketan, Guntur and for any photos of her and her compatriot Kamakshamma. If you come across this reference could you post it? Thanks again.
lakshmi priya

Anonymous said...

great magazine on those days...
thanks for posting

vijaya said...

sir i am grand son of DVL NARASIMHA RAO a great pouranika stage artist in vijayawada and whose history is published in BHARATHI. can u pl send it my phone 9246493499

vijaya said...

sir i am grand son of DVL NARASIMHA RAO a great pouranika stage artist in vijayawada and whose history is published in BHARATHI. can u pl send it my phone 9246493499

Unknown said...

www.gotelugu.com is also free telugu weekly magazine .. no registration and no subscription ..

Unknown said...

Sir, I am searching for my family surname "balabhadra patruni" history details. I you haveing the details, please send me. My mail ID : saikris28@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

Unknown said...

My name is B. Krihnamohan, I am searching for my family surname " balabhadra patruni" family history details. Sir if you have the details, please send the information to my email: saikris@28gmail.com. Thank you very much sir.

Unknown said...

I want bharati edition's. How I am going to get it. Any site address is there. Please tell me..

VRV said...

Hello. Thanks for your informative writing. I am looking for information on the artist Chitra Veerabhadra Rao who has contributed to the Nov 1930 issue of Bharati. Would be very grateful if you can please share the article with me or any information you may have on the artist. Thanks

Unknown said...

1983 bharathi monthly magazine

M. S. S. SUNDARAM said...

Sir,
My full name is Moola Surya Soma Sundaram. I am a writer in Telugu. I have written several Short stories, Kalpikas, Plays and Playlets with pen name Karuna in come magazines and Uma in some magazines (like Prajamatha, Swatantra, Chitragupta, Andhraprabha etc., during the period from 1952-53 onwards. But the particular Playlet "Jebudonga" with my name as M. S. S. Sundaram. Gollapudi Maruthi Rao is very close chiled hood family friend of mine. My Playlet "JEBUDONGA" was published in Bharathi of February 1962. Subsequently it was broadcasted in AIR, Hyderabad enacted by Sri Nanduri Vithal who retired subsequently as Director, Hyderabad TV, Smt. Sarada Srinivasn etc.

Unfortuntely I lost during my transfers from Balasore to Calcutta, and then from there to Hydeabad etc.

By chance do you have a copy of that Magazine and if so could you please send me e-copy of that playlet. My email ID is sssmoola@gmail.com. My mobile number is 9490746078