Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Flute Mali - A page from the diary

15-02-2000
A page from the diary

This is what I wrote about Flute Mali Sir, way back in 2000.
It was interesting that I had some memorable moments with him.
Many know him as a performer.
I knew him as an individual.
I was really stuck with his childlike demeanor.
He came very close to my heart.
He even accepted to a proposal that I write a book about him.
I was not lucky enough.
He passed away before that could happen.

ఆయనకొక వేణువిచ్చితిమి.
We gave him a flute.
వేదికను ఏర్పాటు చేసితిమి.
Arranged a stage.
అయ్యా, కచ్చేరీ వాయిచమంటిమి.
Sir, please perform, we said.
గాంధీ రుషీ యని జానపద గీతమందుకున్నాడు.
He picked up a folk tune to begin with!
అయ్యా తమరొక గంటపాటు రికార్డింగు కొరకు వాయించవలెనంటిమి.
Sir, you are expected to play an hour for a cassette, he was asked.
చివరికి నోటి తాళముతోబాటు చేతనయిన వాయిద్యములనన్ని పెట్టుకొని, గంటసేపు ఒకే కీర్తన వాయించినాడు.
Keeping as many accompaniments possible including a rhythm artist who says the patterns by voice (Konnakol), he played only one item for an hour.
ఆయన తన సంగీతాన్ని తానెప్పుడూ అనుభవించలేదు.
He never enjoyed his own performance.
అనుభవమంతా విన్నవారిదే.
The enjoyment was for the listeners.
ఆయనెప్పుడును తనను తాను గొప్పవాడనుకొనలేదు.
He never thought of himself as a great man.
విన్నవారికి ఆ గొప్పభావము మిగిలినది.
The listeners experienced it enough.
ఆయన తనకు సంగీతము దెలుసు గనుక ఎన్నడును వాయించలేదు.
He never performed because he knew music.
ఎవరో ఆనందిస్తామంటే వేణువు ముట్టుకున్నాడంతే.
Because someone said they will enjoy, he touched the flue.
నిజానికి నీవు వేణువు ఊదకు బాబూ అని ఎవరో అంటే, కోపగించవలసినది పోయి, ఎంతో ఆనందించితిననును.
When somebody asked him not to play flute, instead of feeling bad, He says he was so happy.
చిన్నపిల్లవాడిలోనుండే స్వచ్ఛత, పువ్వులో కనిపించే నైర్మల్యం, సహజత్వం ఆయనలో మూర్తీభవించినవి.
The purity of a child, the spotlessness and natural grace of a flower were manifest in him.
ఎవరోగాని మన అంతరాలను తాకలేరు.
It is only for a few to touch our heart.
ఆయనొక మహా నగము. నేనొక సామాన్యుడను.
He was a colossus. I am a commoner.
నాతో కరచాలనము జేసి, భుజము చుట్టు చేయివేసి, కబుర్లు చెప్పినాడు.
He shook hands with me, put his hands around my shoulders and talked to me.
నాకాయన సంగీతముతో పనిలేదనిపించినది. ఆ పరిచయము చాలుననిపించినది.
I thought I don’t need his music. I thought that acquaintance is enough for me.
సంగీతకారుడనుకున్న ప్రతి వ్యక్తి తన్నుతాను హిమవన్నగమనుకొనును.
Every musician thinks of himself as high as a mountain.
ఆయన నాముందు సామాన్యడయ్యెను. నన్ను హిమవన్నగము జేసెను.
He became a commoner before me. He made me a mountain.
ఇట్టివారింకొకరుందురా, మాలి గాక?
Would there be another like him, Apart from Mali?
ఆయన తీరే వేరు.
He is different.

There was a photograph of mine with Mali Sir.
I thought I lost it. But, recently I found it!

I had many interactions with Mali sir. They are always cherished memories for me. I cannot believe that I have been a friend of such great people. There were a few great people who called me their friend. It was not about my knowing them! They knew me. Is it not enough to feel happy?