Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I Walk!

I walk. I walk a lot. Of course, not these days.
I always walked to my school from the village.
I remember I walked in hot summer sun in the noon all the way back home from the school.
By the time I reach home eyes would be burning!
Mother used to put cotton soaked in buttermilk over them.
I walked miles together when I could.
Now I walk whenever necessary.
I used to walk because that is the only way I know to move from one place to the other. At sixty also I am only dependent on my legs to go places.
I do not drive any vehicle.
I always make the same old stale joke about driving.
If at all I am capable of driving something, it is the other people whom I can drive mad.
I am not even doing that these days. I hardly meet people.
Some people can go mad because I don’t meet them. But, in that I can never be the reason directly driving them mad.
Indirectly though I am responsible for their madness, but I don’t have the fun of driving them mad.

No. I am not interested in driving anymore.


I am walking.
Recently I have even talked my reluctant daughter into walking. She drives a scooter.
Even if the place of work is just a few yards away, she goes on the scooter.
I was thinking that I walk, because I don’t have an alternative.
Those who do not have to walk also are stuck to only one way of moving around.
That is their vehicle.
I think they forget that there are legs and they could be put to use to move forward.
I had to talk my daughter into walking.
She used to go for walking on her scooter when her cousin was around. That girl went away to the Promised Land in search of greener grass.
So, that made my daughter to give up walking.
You need some place and your feet walk, I thought.
My daughter thinks that you need company to walk.

Youngsters think too many things. That is as good as it gets.
They also defy the natural biological rhythms.
They keep awake in the nights, either working or playing fool.
Partying and spending time on the net is hardly of any use.
Youngsters also sleep during the day!
My daughter sleeps much after the day break.
Because the poor thing was either listening to music or watching a video till late, you see!
It is enough if one is up a little before leaving home.
Brush your teeth, take bath and perhaps eat a morsel.
There are many who prefer a sub to homemade food!
I wanted my daughter to break this habit.
I wanted her to walk with me to keep company!
Hardly interesting but also boring company, I knew1
She agreed! We got up early and went the park nearby. That is an apology of one.
Neither trees nor plants there.
We were alone one day.
There were a bunch of old people sitting on another!
There were a couple incessantly talking while they kept walking!

I always thought talking while walking is not the right thing to do.
I was under the impression that a serious walker does not talk and not even open the mouth.
Regular breathing is necessary in walking I thought.
Otherwise walking turns into strolling according to me.

Who cares about what you think?
Particularly about walking that you never do seriously.
Going along the road for passing time is hardly walking!
I shall walk seriously one day.
Neither I nor my daughter is walking after a four day trial.
I developed knee problem.
My bones, I know are worn out!
Not because I am very old.
It is a genetic problem, we know.

Still, I want to walk!
Think while walking!
Notice people along while walking.

Walking all the way into the evening!
Like many others who cannot run.
People, who can run, do that in a totally different way!

Do you run or walk?

Or sit at the table growing that paunch day after day?

No comments: